Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 6, 2009

An interview with Herbert Ndlovu a renowned drama actor


Herbert Ndlovu (Giant) was born 37 years ago in Gweru on 25 July 1960. He resides in Mkoba and is an actor in two very popular dramas which were once played by Zimbabwe television (ZTV). The two drama acts are namely Zvinengozi and Shamiso. Caven Masuku interviewed Mr Ndlovu who is currently working AMTEC Motors Garage along Gweru-Harare road.

Q. For every successful career there is a starting point, when and where did yours start?

A. It actual started at school when I acted in an English play at Nkululeko High School when I was doing my form one. It actually started and ended there, because I had no exposure then.

Q How many plays have you participated as an actor so far?

A. All in all they are four. The first two are “Zvinengozi” and “Shamiso”. The last two flopped along the way.

Q. What role have you played as an actor in the past two drama?

A. In Zvinengozi: I acted as the canning Uncle who dispossesses his brother’s children of their property. In Shamiso; I acted as the big man who appropriated my late brother’s wealth which was left for his children.

Q. From your understanding are there any cultural bonds that can be passed on through drama?

A. Yes there are, like stealing the property of the dead at the expense of the deceased’s children. This haunts the relatives of the dead as well as the people who live there.

Q. As an actor, do you think drama is an effective way of disseminating information to the society? How?

A. Yes, it is the best way, to expose the evil in our society. It also expresses the difficulties faced by people in modern society. Since it is different from comedy, it really shows and tells the real story in real life situations and it enables individuals to identify problems faced by some people in their mundane lifestyle.

Q. What entertainment and education is brought by drama to people?

A. Watching drama allows one to learn the short comings of issues that plague society. It also acts as a unifying force that brings community members together for them to share language and culture. Drama also educates and widens people’s general knowledge, particularly if one pays attention.

Q. From your perceptions can drama addresses the social and economic problems faced by society?

A. To a certain extent yes, it has some influence. It offers for instance scenarios in which the rich learn about their bad behavior. Society benefits a lot in that it can share the social norms and values and pass them over to the next generation.

Q. Where do you see yourself to be in the near future?

A. It is a pity that I am not a writer, but actually I am planning to become one in the near future. Currently so many things are unfolding and compiling them will take me a step closer to ploughing back to the community what I have learnt from them.

Q. Who inspired you?

A. I can’t tell exactly who my role model is, but what I know is that I use to watch Mukadota in 1980’s and Paraffin 1990’s and my instinct told me I could be better than those two. I probably became an actor by accident.

Q. What do you think should be done to promote Art’s and Drama in Gweru?

A. A lot of people out there are sitting on good drama scripts because they don’t know where to submit them. I am appealing to all those with interest in drama to look for the right people who can help them develop their talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment